Of course, shrubs and trees add beauty to your yard, but there are other benefits as well.
- When yards and their neighborhoods are beautified with shrubs and trees, property values can increase by 15 percent or more.
- Trees and larger shrubs help you save energy in the summer. Shade from these plants reduces cooling costs; strategically located plants can reduce air-conditioning costs by 15 to 30 percent.
- Trees, especially evergreens, save energy in the winter by acting as windbreaks. An effective windbreak can lower heating bills up to 30 percent.
- Animals need shrubs and trees to provide food and habitat.
- Shrubs and trees clean the air and help prevent climate change. They return pure oxygen to the air and help offset greenhouse gases. The larger the plant, the more effective it is.
- By absorbing many harmful pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers, shrubs and trees clean the water. They also slow storm water runoff.
- Shrubs and trees protect and enrich the soil by holding it in place with their root systems and adding nutrients each fall with their leaves.